Instruction on Reading Skills & Standards
Ensure that students become skilled and confident with reading, writing, and technology tasks that help them answer high-stakes, English Language Arts test items. Each Practice Test delivers an experience designed to simulate standards-based, end-of year assessment.
Questions require students to use high-order thinking skills and closely read one or two passages representing multiple text types. Passages and questions gradually increase in length and difficulty as students move through the sequence of grade-appropriate tests.
Why Use Practice Tests
Practice Tests get students ready for end-of-year English Language Arts assessments that are often the basis for school accountability. Multiple exposures to questions and tasks similar to those students will encounter at the end of the year builds the confidence, stamina, and skill needed for optimal performance.
- Support students' understanding of next generation, standardized English Language Arts tests in a variety of ways using online, printable, or projectable Practice Tests and teacher-delivered Test-Taking Skill & Strategy Lessons.
- Use reports generated from Practice Test performance data to inform instruction. Reports cite specific weaknesses related to English Language Arts skills or standards for individuals or your whole class.
How To Use Practice Tests
Use the Kids A-Z Classroom Roster to decide how many weeks of Practice Tests you want your students to have. Pick a start date and your students will see a new Practice Test at the beginning of each week in their interactive Kids A-Z student-learning environment. Text passages, reading tasks, and questions get progressively more complex and increase in number as students move through the sequence of tests. This graduated approach to length and complexity helps build stamina and confidence.
Practice Tests include questions from a single source, two sources, or three sources. Sources might include text passages, graphics or other visual features, or multimedia. Be sure to provide students with in-class opportunities to connect ideas across texts or other types of media to ensure they are prepared for the Practice Tests.
Some questions are two-part questions that require correct answers to both parts before students get credit for their response. Remind students to look for clue words, such as Part A and Part B, to know when questions are paired.
Tips for Using Each Test Format
- Use eTest with Answers to review Practice Tests with their answers filled in before your students begin. This allows you to know, ahead of assigning Practice Tests, which skills students need to be successful.
- Model and practice with small groups or as a whole class with the eTest without Answers, which mimics from your teacher account what students experience when they independently take a test
- Download each Printable Practice Test for individual students or the class when no computers are available
- Review questions and answers to printable Practice Test with small groups or the whole class using the Projectable format.
- Take advantage of usable workspace on and around projected pages with built-in tools
Practice Test 1
- Alice's Birthday Cake (Fiction)
Practice Test 2
- Hubble: An Out-of-This-World Telescope (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 3
- Word Smith, Private I (Fiction)
Practice Test 4
- Mystery in the Moonlight (Fiction)
Practice Test 5
- The Amazing Amazon (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 6
- Seven Wonders You Can Visit (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 7
- Magnificent Meatball Maker (Fiction)
Practice Test 8
- Pirate Ships and Flags (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 9
- Mysteries of Flight (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 10
- Razor and the Wolves (Fiction)
Practice Test 11
- Whale Songs (Nonfiction)
- Humpback Whale Songs (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 12
- Water, Water Everywhere (Nonfiction)
- Ocean Quiz (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 13
- Microbes: Friend or Foe? (Nonfiction)
- Microbes Inside You (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 14
- The Oregon Trail (Nonfiction)
- Adventure in Bear Valley (Fiction)
Practice Test 15
- Joe Kittinger: An Unsung Hero (Nonfiction)
- Fearless Felix (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 16
- Adventure on the Amazon River (Fiction)
- The Ribereņos (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 17
- Early Mexico (Nonfiction)
- Revolution (Nonfiction)
Practice Test 18
- The Hare and the Tortoise (Fiction)
- The Choppers and the Wrecks (Fiction)
Practice Test 19
- Samson: A Horse Story (Fiction)
- Growing Up Green (Fiction)